Coffee Date BreadCake, pies and cookies are great dessert and special treat options any time of year, but not always as versatile as a simple, delicious and lightly sweet bread. You can serve this bread as is, with a fruit spread or even with frosting. Our favorite way to serve it is with sliced apples and strong Cheddar. Use a 4 x 8 loaf pan. INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup strong brewed North Country Blend coffee
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Slightly oil the loaf pan.
- Bring strong brewed coffee to a boil. Pour hot coffee over the dates in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, combine and mix the yogurt and egg.
- Blend the flour, sugar and baking soda in a separate, large bowl. Include chopped nuts if desired.
- Add the yogurt and egg mixture, coffee and dates.
- Bake for 1 hour until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let stand a few minutes and remove from pan.
- Serve with fruit and cheese, with fresh apple sauce or as is with a meal.